When we groom our horse, we are transmitting love and caring through our touch. It is a vital greeting ritual between equine and human each day. It should never be hurried or taken lightly. If we were compelled to reduce our lives to one activity with our horse then let it be grooming because it is full of kindness and respect. The brushes we choose are the language we use. Take as much care in selecting the body and facial brushes for your horse as you would in buying a new outfit or choosing a new pair of shoes. When you pick up a brush, look at its construction. Is it crafted with care or stamped in a machine? Are the bristles uniform in quality or haphazardly stiff? Brush your arm and your hand with it. The body brush is for the horse’s coat and you can feel it; it possesses a firmness and insistence within it. The facial brush is like a kiss–soft and as light as a feather. We gather the grooming kit with attention because it matters every morning or every evening when we assemble with our horse. It offers us the moment when we demonstrate that we have sincerely surrendered our predatory nature in the name of partnership with our horse.
- Be sure to follow @ajhham, author of Zen Mind Zen Horse. New book is out, learn more!!! 9 months ago
- Can Costco run for President?? #POTUS 9 months ago
- I keep wondering, where do they go to get the "new car" smell for car washes? 9 months ago
- To lead you need to be able to generate the loyalty of those who might follow 9 months ago
- Can someone explain to me what is happening to the Arizona Cardinals this year? Did they launch a self-destruct sequence? 9 months ago